About School of Postgraduates
After more than three and a half decades of service to the science community, the School of Postgraduate Studies (SPs) has established itself as one of the prides of Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (UPI), both as a center of excellence and as a flag banner of the university’s quality. SPs UPI continues to push itself to remain as one of the best in educational sciences, discipline education, and other sciences.
Unlike other schools of postgraduate studies spread out in various places in Indonesia, SPs UPI presents its uniqueness that is not offered by other institutions, namely the robustness of its footing on the discipline of educational sciences and other discipline education. However, in accordance with its mandate, the University also develops study programs that are not only oriented towards the development of educational sciences, but also are directed towards developing other disciplines. This is the manifestation of a high commitment of the SPs and the University to remain available to serve the scientific community more broadly.
SPs UPI adheres to its original mission to become a leading institution in the development and preservation of educational sciences and subject-specific education and other disciplines.
To maintain its excellent services to its students, the management of SPs UPI is professionally managed as proven by having obtained the ISO 9001: 2008 Quality Management System certificate since 2011.
To improve the quality and the extension of international recognition, SPs UPI also conducts benchmarking activities with world-class universities. International recognitions have been achieved, for example by obtaining international certification from Asean University Network-Quality Assurance (AUN-QA) for Science Education Study Program.
Gaining wider recognition at international level in providing postgraduate education in the field of educational sciences and education disciplines towards the pioneering and excellence of UPI in 2020.
- Providing quality master’s and doctoral education to produce graduates who master the broad concept and insight in their field, independent, personable, and highly competitive at the national and international level.
- Conducting quality and productive research oriented to national and international scientific publications.
- Conducting research-based community services that can make a real contribution to the advancement of the society.
- Expanding the network with national and international scientific communities.
5. Organizing management that supports the creation of an environment of education, research, and community services of international quality and standard.
- To produce mastrs and doctors in educational sciences, education disciplines and other sciences who master concepts and possess a broad insight in the field and have the personality and competitiveness that can be displayed at the national and international levels.
- To produce quality research works and published nationally and internationally.
- To produce works of community services that contribute to the community.
- To enhance program capacity and academic reputation at the national and international levels.
- To improve management capacity and resources that support quality educational environtment, research, and community services.
Sekolah Pascasarjana (SPs) Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia (UPI) is one of the oldest school of postgraduates in Indonesia which has strong commitment for high quality. It was started in 1968 with Lembaga Pendidikan Post Doktoral (LPPD) which later transform to Sekolah Pasca Sarjana (1977-1982), Fakultas Pascasarjana (1983 -1990), Program Pascasarjana (1991-2005), and was back to Sekolah Pascasarjana in 2006 until present. SPs UPI conducts Master Programs dan Doctoral Programs (S3) in Education and Non-Education sciences.
Former SPs UPI chairpersons :
- Prof. Dr. Sikun Pribadi, M.A. (1968-1981)
- Prof. Dr. Achmad Sanusi, S.H., M.PA. (1982-1992)
- Prof. Dr. Moh. Djawad Dahlan (1993-1996)
- Prof. Dr. Abdul Azis Wahab, M.A. (1996-2003)
- Prof. Dr. Asmawi Zainul, M.Ed. (2003-2007)
- Prof. Furqon, Ph.D (2007-2010)
- Prof. Fuad Abdul Hamied, Ph.D (2010-2011)
- Prof. Dr. Didi Suryadi, M.Ed. (2011-2015)
- Prof . H. Yaya S. Kusumah, M.Sc., Ph.D (2015-2019)
SPs UPI is highly committed to
- Providing convenient learning facilities (self-study room, computer room, reading room/library, laboratory, etc.)
- Ensuring the best quality of learning.
- Providing a flexible curriculum and learning system.
- Providing the best lecturers in their field.
- Developing excellent research at the level of Study Program enabling the full involvement of lecturers with the students.
- Encouraging the achievement of student learning outcomes optimally.
- Providing facilities for social interaction (discussion room, internet access, canteen, mosque, and various sports facilities)
• Providing online academic administration services with easy, fast, friendly, and excellent services.
The master’s program is provided by coursework with writing a thesis at the final semester. The number of study loads for this level ranges from 36-42 credits (for those with linear S-1 background) and 48-54 (for those with non-linear S-1 background) with a 4-8 semester study period range. The program is divided into two areas:
- Master's degree in science (non-education)
- Master’s degree in applied field (education)
Doctoral programs are provided through two paths: by coursework and by research with writing a dissertation as a final project with a range of length of study between 6 and 14 semesters.
For the by coursework doctoral program, the total number of study loads for this level ranges from 42-48 credits (for those with a linear S-2 background) and 54-60 credits (for those with non-linear S-2 background). The program is divided into two areas:
- Doctoral program in the field of science (non-education)
- Doctoral program in applied field (education)
The by research doctoral program is provided only for those with a linear S-2 background. There are three mandatory prerequisite courses such as Pedagogical Foundation, Advanced Research Methodology and one course from within the Study Program that must be taken as per the recommendation of the promotor. However, the credit hours will not be counted. Its main academic activity is conducting research in accordance with the direction of the promotor.
- Double Degree program through cooperation with universities at home and abroad. So far, SPs UPI has implemented this program with Youngsan University (Korea) and Hiroshima University (Japan).
- Credit Earning program where students of SPs UPI take a number of courses in other universities. A similar program is credit transfer where students of SPs UPI contract courses in universities abroad and the credit hours are recognized by SPs UPI.
- Student Exchange program through cooperation with universities abroad. One of the partner colleges is Tsukuba University (Japan).
- Visiting Professor program where SPs UPI invites professors from universities abroad to provide general lectures (eminence lecture), seminars/workshops and regular lectures. Among the professors who have conducted this program are Prof. William D. Davies (The University of Iowa, USA), Prof. Abdul Fatteh (Suez Canal University, Egypt), Prof. Ranbir Singh Malik (Edith Cowan University, Australia) and Prof. Andy Kirkpatrick (Griffith University, Australia).
- Joint-International Conference program between SPs UPI and other universities abroad. One of them is the International Conference on Teacher Education by collaborating with Shizuoka University (Japan) and Monash University (Australia).
- International Conference program with internationally indexed proceedings. Asian Education Symposium (AES 2016) was held in 2016 by bringing in experts from Hiroshima University, Nanyang Technological University, Ankara University and University of Philippines. The proceedings of this conference have been published in Scopus indexed CRCPress.
- Master toward Doctor for Outstanding Bachelor program is offered to the best graduates of S-1 to continue their education to the doctoral level through direct acceleration without going through the master’s path.
Student organizations function as a vehicle for the development of student creativity in various forms of activities. This organization development is stipulated through Rector Regulation no. 8052 Year 2010 on Student Organization (Ormawa) of UPI. Student organization may take the form of an Agency, an Assembly, an Institution, a Council, an Assembly, a Forum, a Student Activity Unit, and/or another name in accordance with the vision and mission of the University.
Student organization in SPs is named Student Communication Forum of School of Postgraduate Studies of Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia abbreviated as FKM SPs UPI, whose stewardship is appointed and established by the Director of SPs.
FKM SPs UPI aims to develop the talent and interest of students in the field of education, research and community service, participates in building a conducive academic life as an effort to form a faithful and pious, consistent and responsible academic person for improving the quality of national education.
Activities undertaken by FKM SPs UPI include:
- National and International Seminar;
- Discussion/Talk show;
- Sports Week;
- Educational Research;
- Community Service.
To achieve the best possible education outcomes, we collaborate with
- International institutions such as Norway's Afghanistan Committee (NAC), Tokyo Foundation, Flinders University Australia, Tokyo Metropolitan University Japan, Hiroshima University, National Dong Hwa University (Taiwan), Philippine Normal University, Nihon University Japan, Youngsan University Korea, Universiti Sains Malaysia, and the Islamic College of Islamic Technology (KITAB) of Malaysia.
- Government institutions, such as several Directorate Generals of the Ministry of Education and Culture, Ministry of Research, Technology and Higher Education, Ministry of Religious Affairs, and Ministry of Health, Provincial Governments and District/City Education Offices.
- State-Owned Enterprises (BUMN), Industries, Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs), and individuals with special expertise and commitment to their scientific world.
SPs UPI Management Board
Prof. H. Yaya S. Kusumah, M.Sc., Ph.D
Prof. Dr. Anna Permanasari, M.Si.
Vice Director for Academic and Student Affairs
Prof. Dr. H. Disman, M.S.
Vice Director for Finance and Resources
Dadang Hidayat, S.Pd.
Head of Administration Affairs
Yedi Rudiawan, S.Sos.
Head of Academic and Student Affairs Sub-Section
H. Rukmana, S.Pd.
Head of Finance and Personnel Affairs Sub-Section
Head of General Affairs and Facilities Sub-Section
The School of Postgraduate Studies building is located in the southern part of the campus of Universitas Pendidikan Indonesia, Jl. Dr. Setiabudhi 229 Bandung. Bandung is the capital of West Java province, which has a population of about 2.5 million people. The city of Bandung is located about 200 km south east of Jakarta. UPI campus is located about 8 km north of Bandung city center, in the hilly area at the altitude of 750 m above sea level. The city is cool with temperatures ranging from 19-28 degrees Celsius.